• This topic has 32 replies, 8 voices, and was concluding updated 13 years, 5 months ago by Herb.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • #987427

    Hi!

    I'thousand about to order more paper, and am curious if whatsoever of you have experience with Fabriano's soft printing newspaper? If and then, what are your thoughts on it?

    I have been using mainly hot press recently, and really like information technology, but the soft press sounds appealing – a cross between cold & hot press.

    Any reviews you can share is profoundly appreciated!

    eleven hugs,
    ML

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/3876-Sig4pic.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif
    Mary Lou -
    My Reference Photos
    "I like nonsense. It wakes upward the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it'southward a way of looking at life through the incorrect cease of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life'south realities." --Dr. Seuss

    #1106599

    Interesting, ive actually never heard of it – but then my art supply source is limited on paper & ive become very fix in my ways with my current paper anyway.

    And then the theory is that unlike HP (pressed with a hot printing – removing texture) or CP (pressed between cold cylinders, leaving texture) Soft printing would be run with warm rollers? Im interested in the procedure – and now yous have me thinking perhaps I'll effort some – like y'all, I used HP almost exclusively just something just slightly more toothy than HP but less than CP does sound interesting…

    Justin Maas, SFCA, SCA, PDVC world wide web.justinmaas.com[/url]
    Follow me on Instagram Maas.Art on Instagram
    Facebook: Facebook Gallery[/url]

    #1106598

    NodakerDeb uses information technology alot. She sent me some and I have information technology on hand now and dearest information technology. Not as hardy as Arches but has a wonderful experience and way with the paint.

    #1106586

    Hi Justin – As far every bit I know, merely Fabriano offers the soft press – I fleck the bullet and ordered information technology…what the heck, it's only paper… :)

    Thanks Mike! Glad to hear a good review – makes me feel amend near taking the *gamble*… :D

    11hugs,
    ML

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/08-Dec-2004/3876-Sig4pic.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif
    Mary Lou -
    My Reference Photos
    "I like nonsense. It wakes up the encephalon cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it'south a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss

    #1106606

    Your question has smashing timing – I simply ordered some as it was on sale and I was trying to find info on information technology likewise.
    Got it in the mail today, volition permit you know what I think when I have a run a risk to piece of work on it!

    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"First trust your eyes, then check by rules. Many times something else is happening, and the rules will non use.[/I]" [/SIZE]~Sergei Bongart

    My Watercolors
    My Musings

    #1106593

    If you dear cartoon, you volition love the Fabriano Soft Press…..smoothen with lots of nice "bite" or "tooth"….;-)
    If y'all like doing detailed work this volition work great for y'all….
    Information technology is non as durable as Arches….

    I apply the #300 stuff and use information technology as much as I use #300 ArchesCP.

    Most of all, give it a take a chance…..find out what works for yous and don't exist too harsh….

    I bought a sheet of it, by error, and I was quite happy…..and here in Canada Fabriano is much less expensive than Arches…..which I buy from Cheap Joe's.

    #1106587

    Cheers Brian! I ordered 10 sheets of the soft press 140#. Drawing is not my master adjust, but I'm working on it ;) I also LOVE 300# paper, but went with the 140# this time as I have about 10 sheets of 300# Arches in the cupboard…

    I'll let you know when my order arrives (seems Blick was on backorder for the soft printing until the 23rd). Backorder must mean it's pretty good eh ? :D

    I used Dick Blick because their cost was much less expensive than Cheap Joe's this time… on the paper, AND the pebeo masking I ordered…

    11hugs!
    ML (the comparison shopper)

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/08-Dec-2004/3876-Sig4pic.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif
    Mary Lou -
    My Reference Photos
    "I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; information technology'southward a manner of looking at life through the incorrect terminate of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss

    #1106607

    I have been also busy at work lately to take my paints out, just I have started a sketch on a slice of soft printing and I agree 100% with Brian! I love to depict so much that I pretty much dearest any piece of clean, blank paper – take never especially noticed liking i over another – have not thought too hard nigh it either I gauge. But this stuff is divine – you merely can't miss how overnice it is to only movement the pencil across.
    And even though I haven't pulled the paints out even so, I recall I tin already tell I'k going to like it – I just am liking the feel of it so much.

    Will let you know more once I get to really piece of work with information technology.

    Have you had a hazard to try yours still? What did you think?

    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"First trust your optics, and then check by rules. Many times something else is happening, and the rules will not apply.[/I]" [/SIZE]~Sergei Bongart

    My Watercolors
    My Musings

    #1106588

    I just got my order on the 23rd, so haven't used it yet. Glad to hear you like information technology then far tho… I'll probably get a chance to try it out by the weekend…. the sale price on 140# total sheets at Blick'due south was $two.41 per canvass – can't beat that! I may just have to become back and check the price on the 300# now….:p

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/08-Dec-2004/3876-Sig4pic.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/24-Nov-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif
    Mary Lou -
    My Reference Photos
    "I similar nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope, and that enables you to express mirth at life'due south realities." --Dr. Seuss

    #1106612

    "soft" translates to absorbent in my world so I haven't tried information technology–I use lots of water in my work. My local fine art store had Fabriano CP on sale so in my manic stage I bought 4 pads without trying information technology–yikes. Nice sheet but as well absorbent for me.

    I'yard using Stratmore Bristol Vellum finish and like it! Especially nice to draw on an cost constructive. And it paints nicely too.

    Best of the all-time is the WN 140# CP, just as the "little old white-haired lady" Uschi told me it was.

    #1106595

    FYI

    Dear Neeman,

    as you lot maybe already know the Uno newspaper does not exist anymore.

    [I]5 years ago we have re-branded this paper every bit Artstistico Actress White (because we accept another watercolour paper called Artistico Traditional White).[/I] (my italics)

    Artistico and Uno have the aforementioned characteristics – 100% cotton, mould made, watermarked, acid free, buffered and archival, no animal derivatives (for the surface sizing) – what has inverse is the watermark, the common cold printing and the rough grains.

    All the other features accept remained unchanged.

    The difference between Artistico Extra and Traditional White is the white shade: the actress white is whiter, merely without optical brightners, thanks to selection and bleaching (without chlore) of cotton in guild to satisfy the expectation of the consumers (unremarkably in Europe watercolorists are more used with off-white papers).

    I hope to have been exhaustive, otherwise experience complimentary to contact me at your convenience.

    Kind regards,

    Giuseppe Prezioso

    Marketing Department – Cartiere Miliani Fabriano spa
    Tel: +39 0732 702 484
    Fax: +39 0732 702 503
    mailto: [email][email protected][/email]

    Giuseppe,
    And so I am clear.

    The Artistico Extra White soft press and Hop Press are the same every bit the discontinued Uno.

    But the Artistico Extra White Cold Printing and Rough are unlike from the discontinued Uno

    Correct?

    Cheers,

    Neeman

    Dearest Neeman,

    yous accept perfectly understood.

    Regards,
    Giuseppe Prezioso

    #1106596

    Brian,
    How does the CP compare to the Soft Press?

    I use Fabriano Artistico trad white 140# HP and Rough in 9×12″ blocks for plein air.
    I do not find them at all soft, if anything on the difficult side.

    I likewise use Fabriano Artistico trad white 140# in CP
    There was an offer for 25 sheets at less than $two a sheet
    An excellent medium newspaper, the 'baby bear' of papers, not too difficult and non too soft! :)

    But I love Saunders Waterford in 140# in HP, CP, and Rough
    A harder paper, where the colors just sparkle off the surface.
    The colour of the paper is quite warm
    The wire side is flatter and patterned from the felt side.
    A paper not used and then much in North America.
    Well worth a try.

    #1106608

    Oh wow! I finally got a chance to try this paper last night and I didn't fifty-fifty know that it was possible for me to exist this excited about a production. Have had a heckuva time doing anything else today considering all I can retrieve nigh is how much I desire to get back to working with information technology.

    That said, I was all excited to come on here and finally review information technology…and I'm only realizing that I haven't quite came upwards with the exact words to depict it – correct now I'grand just obviously enjoying it and so much that information technology'due south hard to calm downwardly enough to decide on exactly what it is that I'm enjoying so much.

    This is what I've figured out so far:
    It has all of the qualities of hotpress that I used to love when I did abstracts and used a lot of information technology.

    My colors are brighter. The style that water affects wc is and then much more than pronounced – blooms, blotches, cauliflowers (things some people might hate, but I'm always finding myself disappointed when cp dries and they've spread out and composite in more) – they're easier to create instead of hoping for a 'happy blow'.

    Information technology doesn't have the qualities that I didn't like about hot press.

    It feels silky instead of slickery. Masking fluid worked just fine – didn't affect the paper surface at all. Didn't accept to try to hibernate the brushstrokes that I didn't desire to meet.

    Information technology had the qualities of cp that I like.
    It didn't accept the things that I dislike nearly cp.

    Besides that it only had – something that I loved. It was definitely unlike than either hp or cp – only I didn't find anything that made me remember "oh no! I'll have to call back not to do that with this paper."

    If someone were to design a paper for exactly the manner I paint and the fashion I want them to look when dry out – I tin't imagine how they could amend on this stuff.

    More basic stuff – it's more than shine than cold paper, simply not as smooth every bit hot. Soft merely seems the perfect description, but not in the 'soft, handmade, uses tons of pigment cause information technology sucks information technology upward so fast' kind of terminology. I call back silky would be a meliorate description – but silky press simply sound so light-headed.
    It also seems more stiff and thick than either the cold or hot press that I ordered at the aforementioned fourth dimension of the same brand – fifty-fifty though they all were 140lb – the way rough seems to be.

    I am actually looking forrad to doing some next comparisons with all 4 kinds of paper tomorrow – if there's much visible difference I'll post pics. But, and so far most of what I'thou liking seems to have to do with how information technology feels/handles and then I don't know if pics will really tell us anything.
    We'll see!

    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]"Commencement trust your optics, then cheque past rules. Many times something else is happening, and the rules will not apply.[/I]" [/SIZE]~Sergei Bongart

    My Watercolors
    My Musings

    #1106589

    WOW MJ – slap-up to read such a rave review on this paper!! I've been working on another sunflower on Arches 140#, but I only might have to suspension this stuff out right at present!! :D :clap: I like the term silky… :p

    Please, postal service your comparisons if you get the chance..

    11hugs,
    ML

    http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Customs/images/08-December-2004/3876-Sig4pic.jpg http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/24-November-2004/33172-cheshire1-smaller.gif
    Mary Lou -
    My Reference Photos
    "I like nonsense. It wakes up the encephalon cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living; information technology's a fashion of looking at life through the incorrect end of a telescope, and that enables you to laugh at life'southward realities." --Dr. Seuss

    #1106594

    Neeman
    I don't use Artistico CP….difficult to become away from information technology.

    Mickey Jane
    I gather you lot like information technology…..I've always worked on #300 of all kinds and so tin can't comment on the #140

Viewing xv posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

  • Y'all must be logged in to reply to this topic.